The Coast Academy is a community and the heart and strength of our school. We have a clear mission – to do whatever it takes to ensure that every single student thrives and, as a school-community, to give back and contribute to the community around us. We focus on students’ academic growth, character development, and health/wellness. We recognize that health/wellness – which we define as students’ physical & mental health, social-emotional well-being, and food security – is a prerequisite for academic growth and character development.
The school works to meet students’ health/wellness needs by providing access a full-time school nurse, curriculum that prioritizes social emotional learning and character development, and – above all – a school where teachers, families, community members, local organizations, and businesses work together to ensure every child is cared for and challenged to be their very best.
We address five critical in-school factors to close the achievement gap: preparation, time, belief, teaching, and leadership. Our primary objective is to address each of these factors through rigorous academic programming accompanied by culturally relevant messages that encourage structure, discipline, and an expectation of college education.
Key features of our school:
A school culture that builds confidence and encourages self-control, while focusing on academic achievement
Academic support tailored to different learning styles
Highly-skilled teachers supported by ongoing professional development
In-depth involvement of parents
An education that incorporates African culture and heritage
Closing the “belief gap” through a mindset that all children can learn at high levels
Finally, we believe that for a student to thrive – to demonstrate mastery and find meaning in education – they must share their learning in ways that positively impact their community.
Success in Learning
Why Choose The Coast Academy?
- Emphasizing and rewarding individual achievement;
- Ensuring disciplined study by all students;
- Establishing an ethos of fair play and mutual respect;
- Expecting reliability, both as individuals and as members of a team;
- Sharing responsibility of the welfare of members of the community:
- Promoting the culture of life – long learning.
- Are energized, enthusiastic and self motivated;
- Value quality teaching and learning, have high expectations and
- Encourage a range of ideas and innovations;
- Understand and satisfy the educational needs expressed by both students and parents;
- Encourage students to learn and grow together;
- Promote the values of the academy;
- Enable parents and all friends of the academy to participate as appropriate in its activities.
The Academy expects aims to become a leader in education. This will be done by placing strong emphasis on :-
- a collective and consultative approach to relationship management, decision making and planning;
- a cycle of review and development aimed at ensuring effective use of resources for the benefit of students’ learning;
- appropriate and suitable physical facilities to provide an attractive learning environment;
- first class equipment (including information technology – ICT, to ensure easy access to all available information);
- a high qualified and well – motivated staff.