Come as a Student, Leave as a Leader
Student leadership is an integral part of life at The Coast Academy and essential to making The Coast Academy a school of excellence. Students are called upon to lead their peers spiritually, socially and in service. While there are formal positions available to accomplish this, each student is encouraged to lead through their actions and be part of leadership at The Coast Academy.
All Lower School grade levels encourage leadership through classroom jobs and developmentally appropriate duties that give students ownership of their own classroom experience. Students learn accountability, responsibility, oral communication skills and teamwork.
The Middle School Leadership program aims to train students in grade 8 to lead their peers in service, worship and school-wide activities. Once selected for the Middle School Leadership Program, students meet once per month during lunch to discuss leadership skills and how they can better serve their peers. The middle school student body is divided into six teams, and each team is steered by 4-5 members of the leadership team.
The Student Leadership Team (SLT) is currently made up of juniors and seniors who are chosen to lead certain aspects of school life. Each member is responsible for a specific area of school life ranging from student life to academics. All members work cohesively as a team in support of one another and ultimately are tasked with leading the student body.
The SLT is a team that is focused both on selection and development of leaders. This particular team is focused on overseeing the big picture of life at Coast Academy and undergoes leadership training and mentorship throughout the year.
The Honor Council is a coalition of students in the Upper School who advocate for their peers, but also hold themselves and those around them to a higher standard. The Honor Council has and will continue to be a source of encouragement among students, so that they are being heard and represented well.
Clubs and Organizations
A number of clubs and organizations help our students develop invaluable leadership skills at Coast Academy. Students enjoy their experiences in clubs and organizations, while growing intellectually and spiritually, and gaining preparation for college and life.
Success in Learning
Why Choose The Coast Academy?
- Emphasizing and rewarding individual achievement;
- Ensuring disciplined study by all students;
- Establishing an ethos of fair play and mutual respect;
- Expecting reliability, both as individuals and as members of a team;
- Sharing responsibility of the welfare of members of the community:
- Promoting the culture of life – long learning.
- Are energized, enthusiastic and self motivated;
- Value quality teaching and learning, have high expectations and
- Encourage a range of ideas and innovations;
- Understand and satisfy the educational needs expressed by both students and parents;
- Encourage students to learn and grow together;
- Promote the values of the academy;
- Enable parents and all friends of the academy to participate as appropriate in its activities.
The Academy expects aims to become a leader in education. This will be done by placing strong emphasis on :-
- a collective and consultative approach to relationship management, decision making and planning;
- a cycle of review and development aimed at ensuring effective use of resources for the benefit of students’ learning;
- appropriate and suitable physical facilities to provide an attractive learning environment;
- first class equipment (including information technology – ICT, to ensure easy access to all available information);
- a high qualified and well – motivated staff.